Ski The Last Degree to the South Pole
Without a doubt this is definitely one of the more incredible journeys on earth! On this expedition you ski to the South Pole, much as the first intrepid explorers did 100 years ago, albeit in a manageable timeframe and with significantly less suffering!
On our Ski the Last Degree journey you get to know the real Antarctica - remote, austere and wild. Initiating in Chile, South America, we fly onto the continent by jet to a remote inland camp. Here we re-group and finalise arrangements before boarding a fixed wing aircraft into the white interior to begin our ten day ski trek to the southern most point on earth.
We ski about 8 hours a day and expedition members will all tow a sled with group equipment and provisions. We set up camp each night, relaxing and eating inside the tents where we enjoy the 24 hour sunlight. Members will need to arrive with a good level of fitness and experience in the snow and outdoor environment. Specific training will be provided on arrival in Antarctica with camp management, sled rigging and ski touring before we fly inland to begin the trek.
This expedition is suitable for anyone who wants a life of incredible experiences!
Trip 1: December 16 - 31
Trip 2: January 1 -16
Duration: 16 days
Price: US$58,500 per person
Departure: ex Punta Arenas, Chile
View dispatches from our recent 2012 expedition.
** We offer Polar Training Courses in New Zealand to introduce you to the skills and techniques you’ll need to prepare for a polar expedition.
The expedition fee includes the following:
- Flights to and from Union Glacier in Antarctica
- Flights from Union Glacier to 89º South and from South Pole back to Union Glacier camp
- All group equipment including sleds, cooking gear etc
- Tents and food while in Antarctica
- Mountain guides
- Access to our satellite telephone for outgoing calls
- Dispatch webpage updated throughout the trip for friends & family to follow
- Transport of 23kg of personal equipment
The expedition fee does not include the following:
- Air travel to and from Punta Arenas, Chile
- Hotel accommodation and meals in Punta Arenas
- Chilean visa and airport fees
- Personal insurance – full travel, medical and rescue insurance is required as well as personal trip cancellation insurance. Medical evacuation insurance cover of US$300,000 is required.
- Personal clothing and equipment including skis, poles, skins and boots (a full equipment list is provided on booking)
- Excess baggage transportation charges of US$66.00 per kg for any baggage exceeding the personal equipment weight limit.
- Cost of satellite telephone calls whilst on expedition
- Personal expenses incurred on the expedition
Day 2 Weighing & loading of gear and briefings
Day 3 Fly to Union Glacier, Antarctica
Day 5,6 Training days around Union Glacier
Day 7 - 12 Fly to 89º South and trek to South Pole
Day 13 Fly South Pole to Union Glacier
Day 14 Depart for Punta Arenas
Day 15 Leave for home destination