In 2006, Adventure Consultants, based in Wanaka, New Zealand, and the American Alpine Institute, headquartered in Bellingham, Washington, USA, were pleased to announce their formation of a worldwide alliance.
Over the years the owners of both organisations - Dunham Gooding from AAI and Guy Cotter from AC - have regularly discussed ways to strengthen both organizations by working together, sharing expert guides, and utilizing the special areas of expertise that each company had developed over three decades of work. While both companies were recognized internationally as leaders in the field of mountain guiding, both Guy and Dunham feel that both companies are now even stronger because of the alliance.
THE NORTH FACE AND AC
In 2011, Adventure Consultants and The North Face entered into a strategic partnership wherein The North Face, the world’s premier supplier of authentic, innovative and technically advanced outdoor apparel, equipment and footwear, agreed to supply Adventure Consultants' guides and staff with the outdoor clothing, equipment and accessories they need to face the conditions often met in the most inhospitable places on Earth.
In return Adventure Consultants guides, staff and clients will provide product feedback which will be incorporated into product design, ensuring The North Face products remain the most authentic and technically innovative in the market.
We proudly use the following equipment on our expeditions:
RECOMMENDED SPECIALIST OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT STORES
- The North Face Signature Stores, Australia & New Zealand
- Bogong Equipment, Melbourne
- Mountain Equipment, Sydney
- Mainpeak, Perth
- Paddy Palin Stores, Australia
- Ravanel & Co, Chamonix
- El Refugio Adventure Store, Ciudad, Mendoza
- Mt Outdoors, Wanaka
ADVENTURE ACTIVITY SAFETY AUDIT
RECOMMENDED ALTITUDE TRAINING PROVIDERS
Take your fitness preparations to the next level with simulated high altitude training prior to your expedition or trekking adventure. The New Zealand Altitude Training Centre is based in Auckland, and offer a free no obligation introductory session.
Discover the scientifically proven health and performance benefits of training in a simulated high altitude environment. Centrally located in Christchurch, Vertex Altitude is an ideal training venue for our Southern New Zealand based clients.
RECOMMENDED BOOKS, CALENDARS & ARTWORK
A superb range of books and calendars including the definitive history of the first five years of Adventure Consutlants 'Hall and Ball - Kiwi Mountaineers, from Mt Cook to Everest' by Colin Monteath can be sourced from Hedgehog House
The Adventurous Traveler Bookstore
RECOMMENDED CLIMBING & HIGH ALTITUDE MOUNTAINEERING WEBSITES
Adventure Consultants own Sherpa Future Fund operates to support those families of AC Sherpas who lost their lives in the 2014 Khumbu Icefall Avalanche and the 2015 Nepal Earthquake. As a means to raise money for the Sherpa Future Fund we are offering the unique opportunity to purchase a number of beautifully presented replicas of Sir Edmund Hillary’s ice axe that he personally signed. See our Sir Edmund Hillary Ice Axe page for more information.
Other organisations we wholeheartedly support:
Adventure Consultants adhere to Leave No Trace guidelines and principles.
The dZi Foundation is an organisation that is helping Nepalese orphans receive schooling and ongoing opportunities
Room to Read is making fantastic progress building schools throughout the Himalaya
Inspired Escapes allows you to give back as you travel
The definitive source for all activities, accommodation and services at Lake Wanaka, New Zealand, can be found at www.lakewanaka.co.nz
Great places to stay and activities in the Southern Lakes District, Wanaka / Queenstown that we recommend are:
- Matterhorn South Lodge and Backpackers
- Whare Kea Lodge
- Release Private Retreat
- Peak Accommodation Wanaka
- Edgewater Hotel
- Oakridge Mercure Resort
- Brookvale Manor Motels
- Te Wanaka Lodge
- Lakeside Apartments
- Wanaka Homestead
- Minaret Lodge
- Wanaka Kiwi Holiday Park
- Wanaka Accommodation Centre
- Home Away
- Aspiring Helicopters for scenic flights
- Flights to Milford Sound
- Heliworks in Queenstown for scenic flights
- Ultimate Hikes in Queenstown for the Milford and Routeburn tracks
- River Journeys for fantastic jetboating on the Matukituki River
- Basecamp Wanaka for indoor climbing
- Check out our favourite ski resorts Cardrona and Treble Cone or for cross country skiing Snowfarm.
NEW ZEALAND ACTIVITIES
Some other excellent activities around the South Island of New Zealand are:
- Adventure South - cycling and hiking tours of New Zealand
- Hiking New Zealand - small group hiking tours of New Zealand
- Check out the New Zealand Escape site for details on activities, accommodation and transport throughout the South Island
- Excellent itineraries for touring around the best of New Zealand from www.nzfinetours.co.nz
- The New Zealand Information Network website has a wealth of information with a searchable database
In the North Island of New Zealand, a great option is:
- Walking Legends for the Tongariro Crossing, a beautiful and famous walk through New Zealand's volcanic plateau
RECOMMENDED PROFESSIONAL TRAVEL AGENTS
- ex North America - Dana Welch at The Travel Society in Denver, Colorado, USA
- ex New Zealand - Richard and Debbie Bradford at New Zealand Travel Brokers in Cromwell, New Zealand
- We recommend The Travel Doctor for checking your medical and immunisation requirements before travelling to remote areas.
- Check out Topomap for a very cool look at how to get around New Zealand.
- For news, courses, information and blogs on adventure and wilderness medicine. Check out this website: The Adventure Medic.
From the AC Blog page
Everest 2017 - Starting Soon
Pvt Everest BC 2017 - Base Camp
Kilimanjaro 2017 - Cool Morning Walk
Aconcagua 2017 - Celebrating Success
South Pole 2017 - At the South Pole
Vinson 2016 - End of the Line