Originally from Tokoroa, New Zealand, Tim is now based in Interlaken, Switzerland. He started rock climbing in 1994 at age 19 and moved on to alpine climbing in 1996.
He likes watching the dawn turn into a sunrise high on a summit when most people are still asleep and when rock climbing, he likes unlocking a sequence which at first seems impossible.
Tim began guiding in 2003 and is now a fully qualified IFMGA Climbing and Ski Guide, and has guided extensively in New Zealand's Southern Alps as well as in the European Alps. "I enjoy helping people achieve their dreams whether it be a summit or having the skills to travel in the mountains."
One of Tim's more memorable climbing experiences is climbing along the summit ridge of Aoraki/Mt Cook the first time with Steve Moffat. "I was in a T-shirt because it was such a perfect windless day."
When not climbing, Tim likes skiing long, steep, deep powder runs.
MT LEDENFELD, NZ
- First ascent of “The Mutant” West Face, 2005. Click here to read about this climb.
- AMA DABLAM (6828m), Guide, 2007; Lead Guide 2014
- MERA PEAK (6476m), Lead Guide 2014
- THREE PEAKS - Island Peak (6189m), Lobuche (6119m) and Kyajo Ri (6186m), Guide, 2010
- ISLAND PEAK (6189m), Guide 2008
- KYAJO RI (6186m), Lead Guide, 2011
- EVEREST BASE CAMP TREK, Lead Guide 2014
"Tim was absolutely amazing...my three weeks with him were spectacular. He was direct when he needed to be and friendly when we had time to relax, I could not have asked for a better guide.
We definitely bonded with each other and got along very well...I have to say that part of a trip being so much fun, is the bonding you get with your guide and partners on the trip."