Jon Bracey is one of Britain’s foremost alpinists having climbed many hard mixed routes in the Alps and established several new routes in Alaska, Greenland and the Himalayas. Along with his passion for expedition climbing, Jon has competed for Great Britain at the Ski Mountaineering World Championships, the Patrouille des Glaciers and the Pierra Menta.
Jon grew up on a sheep and cattle farm in Lambourn, UK, providing perfect training for alpine climbing with all the cold, early morning starts.
He is now based in Les Houches with his family and works year round as an IFMGA Mountain Guide. “I love the challenges of guiding classic north faces and harder winter climbs. Nothing beats seeing the immense satisfaction of clients on realising their dreams”.
- First Ascent of Silence of the Serac, ED2, Tupilak, East Greenland
- First Ascent of Hydropnicum VIII on the far east wall of Beinn Eighe, Scotland, with Martin Moran and Rich Cross
- First Ascent of Snotty's Gully, Pharilapcha, Nepal
- First Ascent of the NW Face of Mount Kennedy (Arctic Discipline), Yukon
- First British Ascent of the Bonatti/Vaucher, plus ascents of the Walker Spur, Colton/Macintyre, Croz Spur and Slovenian Route on Les Grandes Jorasses, France
- First Ascent of For Whom the Bell Tolls, Mount Church, Alaska
- First Ascent of Meltdown, Mount Grosvenor, Alaska
- First Ascent of The Cartwright Connection, North Buttress of Mt Hunter, Alaska (pictured right), click here to read about this ascent.
- First Ascent of Eyes Wide Shut (900m, ED1, M6, AO, UIAA IV) a mixed route on the Northeast face of Mont Rouge de Grouvetta, Mont Blanc Range
- First Free Ascent of Birthright, Grands Carmoz, Massif du Mont Blanc
- Third Ascent of Godfather VIII, Beinn Bhan, Scotland, with Rich Cross
- Climbed Rory Rum the Story Man, E5 6a, on Dun Mingulay Sea Cliff, The Hebrides
- Climbed The Voyage of the Beagle, E5 6a, on Creag an Dubh Loch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
- Climbed the North Couloir, ED3, on the North Buttress, Mt Hunter, Alaska
- Climbed There’s a Moose Loose Aboot this Hoose, ED4, Moose's Tooth, Alaska
- Climbed Meltdown, ED3, Mount Grosvener, Alaska
- Climbed the 1938 Route on the North Face of the Eiger
- Competed for Great Britain at the Ski Mountaineering World Championships, The Perra Menta and The Patrouille des Glaciers
- Snowboarded the northeast face of Les Courtes in the Mont Blanc Region, France, a real fear inducing trip, but one which he survived intact.
"Jon’s guidance was spot on the entire trip. We were so grateful for his professionalism, positive demeanor and natural ability to gauge the perfect pace and level of activity for our abilities. We had never gone alpine mountaineering before, but felt so comfortable on the mountain with him. Good communication, technique advice, and endless patience! Never felt uncomfortable or rushed. Confident leadership, always safe, his experience was evident.
Thanks for a wonderful experience and unforgettable memories in the mountains! We’re addicted and will be back for more!"
"I wanted to thank you for organising such a wonderful experience for me.
Being a local boy from Chamonix and having shared time on the mountain with other guides, I must say that you have the BEST ones!
From day one, I have personally felt very comfortable with Jon, Paolo, Roberto, Nick and Russell. I found each one of them to be incredibly patient, professional and extremely friendly towards us.
Many times the timetable and the plans were changed, but not once did I hear the guides complain, well, not in my presence anyway!..., I am very happy with how the trip was organised and the choice of climbs and decisions made.
Thank you for making this trip a great and unforgettable experience."